There are different types of contracts that you can encounter when renting:

Contract for indefinite time:
This type you often find with housing corporations. They are not limited in time, you have a one-month cancellation period from the date the contract commences. It is far less common with commercial rental organisation.

Fixed term contract:
This type of contract allows a landlord to rent out a property for a maximum period of 24 months. This contract can be offered to a tenant once for every term within these 24 months. Within this term, a cancellation period can be included. The landlord has to inform you three months before the contract runs out if the contract will be converted to one of indefinite time. With rental periods over twelve months, but to a maximum of 24, this notice period is four months instead of three.

Shortstay contract:
This contract is limited to a twelve months maximum. Within this timeframe a termination clause for the tenant must be included. It can be several days to a maximum of one calendar month. 

Contract based on vacancy law:
This form of contract is offered when you rent a house which is on sale. You can rent for a minimum of six months, but after these six months the landlord has a three-calendar-month cancellation period, and the tenant a one-calendar-month one. In case no cancellation takes place, the rental agreement runs to a maximum of five years, or until the permit for renting out in this form runs out.

Some organisations offer a contract for a minimum of twelve months, after which it automatically turns into an indefinite contract. This type of contract however is not a valid one, because an indefinite contract having a one calendar month cancellation period from the starting day.

Do you have questions regarding your contract, or about finding a house? Click here! 

News & Updates

BSR - municipality taxes

Recently you might have received an email of the Belasting Service Rivierenland (BSR) that requests you to  pay a certain amount in 2 terms. This is for the municipality tax. 
The BSR is a tax for the water regulation, pollution tax, etc. You usually pay the tenancy part. If you don't have received any mail; it might have been sent to your DigID account! 


Where to go


Once you are settled in Nijmegen, you would like to know where to go. We will advice you where you should go to eat, sip, and find the best spots to go in the Nijmegen area.

Read more ...


Finding a House

The Expatdesk Nijmegen is specialized in renting and letting housing accommodations for expats. Over more then 10 years of experience with helping expats to find the right house in Nijmegen or surroundings.
Trough this website you'll find the necessary information that you need once you need a (temporary) housing accommodation in Nijmegen.

Read more ...